Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Similarities and Differences.

     Anthropology can be found in any aspect of human life. Seeing as it is a study of humanity, it can be holistically linked to human life. The four sub-fields of Anthropology (cultural, archeology, physical, and linguistics) cover human history from past to present, and into the future.

     The concept that caught my interest the most was the concept of cultural and visual Anthropology. The visual concept deals with things such as films, photos, and art. I learned that while studying cultural anthropology a person will become acquainted with different cultures and what makes up the cultures unique in parts of the world, the varied customs that go along with the cultures, how relationships are formed in cultures and the strengths of the bonds between people, and even more topics that build into a culture.

     Cultural anthropology can be seen in many places in the everyday world. The Internet and news relay constant information coming from places around the globe. It is easy to just jump online and research an entire culture, in moments you can know their location, how long they have been around, and current events about the culture. Television displays aspect of cultural anthropology; on the news and with television shows. With the TV shows, it gives a visual insight into what cultures deem important enough to make it on air. Photos provide snapshots (and freeze time), and while the photograph could have been meant to be artistic in nature, it could very well describe and show the beauty of a place or group of people.

     I would say that I affect cultural anthropology as much as it affects me. I am living in a culture that will one day be studied, and I have the chance to make an impact in this current culture...I can change things going on right now in this place and time. But at the same time, understanding cultural anthropology does affect me as well. By knowing what different cultures are experiencing currently, this directly influences economics and politics which directly have an effect on me.

     While this is only my first anthropology class, I have a huge interest in learning about the different groups and cultures that are on this planet. I love learning about far away places and the people that live there. It is even more interesting for me to learn that while yes, we might have very different cultures and customs, that we also have similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment